Small Suggestions Ahoy!

What would you like to see in SHA or in the website.

Small Suggestions Ahoy!

Postby Ciao Time on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:25 am

-Finish modeling all the weapons so they look like the ones shown in their thumbnails (even if it means recruiting some temporary help)

-Make Human Torch class able to function normally while submerged in lava

-Add s'more maps

-Make Electric players invulnerable to attacks from the Lightning Gun

-Add 'Exit Mod' button to go back to base Quake III.

-Update your ModDB profile and the mod's front page to reflect the project's restarting (Publicity is good)
Ciao Time
Sidekick

Re: Small Suggestions Ahoy!

Postby Batmite on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:13 pm

-Finish modeling all the weapons so they look like the ones shown in their thumbnails (even if it means recruiting some temporary help)

I'm not sure what you mean about that, the icons (thumbnails) are snapshots from the ingame display of the weapon ;) I think some of the special weapons icons may not look like actual one.

-Make Human Torch class able to function normally while submerged in lava

Thanks for telling me this, I add this to the list of changes.

-Add s'more maps

eww, the subject of maps. I am and never will a mapper, I was able to do everything else. When I started to work on SHA around 2000, I had 2 guys agreeing to make me maps, but in the end they didn't come up with anything I could use. I've never really been good in teams and also I'm not good at nagging at people, to see how far they have progressed in their work. I work very well alone and can usually figure things out. If someone out there has a lot of iniative and really care in helping me make a good mod, I would never turn them down, I would really welcome it, as I have said many times. But in all these years, no one has really come forward.

Also SHA was meant to be non map mod, more of a I have super powers game, but people were/are able to use the maps from quake 3 and the hundreds of maps made by quake 3 mappers. There are a lot of great maps out there, even if someone didn't make me any maps I would welcome a great compilation of the best maps that work supremely with SHA. Over the years, I've collected maps, that I think would go great with SHA version 2, though they would have to be changed a lot because most maps use assets from Quake 3.

-Make Electric players invulnerable to attacks from the Lightning Gun

I thought I did this, but would be an easy change.

-Add 'Exit Mod' button to go back to base Quake III.

lol, the reason why I got rid of that is because I didn't want people to go back to the quake 3 menu, I wanted them to keep on playing the mod. Also, I wont make that change now, because version 2 will be a stand alone game without the need for quake3.

SHA depends on assets from quake 3, and is very depended on how quake 3 worked, eg, health/armor, items, the weapons; so I'll have to do a lot of converting and recoding and finding new assets and changing how the weapons look (I think OpenArena did this).

-Update your ModDB profile and the mod's front page to reflect the project's restarting (Publicity is good)

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, I don't want them to be waiting and waiting for the next version, I'd rather it would be a surprise; that's why I always keep secret. Well I know that if people don't know I'm working on it, then no one will know in order to want to help me, lol.

Also I'm not sure if I'll be able to complete or even if I have the time or energy to do so, I'll have to make time within this year and the next in order to make the 2nd version.
Batmite
Main Man

Postby Ciao Time on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:16 am

Batmite wrote:I'm not sure what you mean about that, the icons (thumbnails) are snapshots from the ingame display of the weapon ;) I think some of the special weapons icons may not look like actual one.

Oh, BIG screw-up for me right there. I use OpenArena, and the weapons are completely different. All the wep pics look way off for me 'cause they're the Base Quake III ones. Man, I botched that call.

I'd rather it would be a surprise; that's why I always keep secret. Well I know that if people don't know I'm working on it, then no one will know in order to want to help me, lol.

That made no sense. :roll: Come on, a forum with only two people posting isn't much of a forum, and as far as I know 99.9% of the community thinks that this mod was dead in 2005! Give the world a little hope, at least. Please?
Ciao Time
Sidekick

Postby Batmite on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:40 am

I'm not sure what the community thinks of my mod. lol. except for the small amount of posts on this forum and the teeny trickle of email from people who enjoyed the mod.

It is easy for a lot of people to say, I am making a mod and I will release it, and then they never do. I have seen it many times, and then you feel disappointed when nothing comes of it. I don't want that to happen to my mod, even if there isn't a second incarnation.

I don't have time or energy to hang around other forums & internet places to plug my mod/game or recruit people; I wish I could but I can't, or I wish someone could help me, I've asked for help before and got nothing. This project has always been a solitary thing for me, more like a hobby; it was very enjoyable creating my own little world. When I released the mod in 2002, I was hoping for a lot, lol; a lot of people played it and I think they liked it, but I didn't get as much feedback as I wanted and also no one created servers for it (maybe one or 2) and I was really disappointed. After 5 years, only a handful of people have sent me emails about the mod, I'm not even sure why. I need a good reason to put so much energy into making a new game. I even said a while back that I would never work on this again, but I changed my mind for a while. I still have the desire to make the next version, but I can only do it at my own pace or if some enthuasiastic people urge me on, lol.

Finally, I didn't put much stock on the moddb thing, I just put my game profile on it as something to do at the time, when I first released my mod., I'm not even sure how popular it is. It's only recently when I updated the moddb SHA page slightly by uploading the mod files to appear on the downloads section, that a few people came my way :)
Batmite
Main Man

Postby Ciao Time on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:11 pm

Well,... yeah, you might be right. But what I'm saying is you can't really get the "enthusiastic people" without some form of publicity. Even updating the mod's front page with a two-word phrase (e.g. "Not telling" or "It's a secret") is bound to attract people.

Heck, you could even give some of your old regulars like NIN and Merlin an e-mail about the mod's status.
Ciao Time
Sidekick

Return to Requests