Bat cave under way!

Anything connected to mapping or creating maps for SHA.

Bat cave under way!

Postby canobis on Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:48 pm

Ok I did some mapping this weekend, cause well I was super duper bored.. I could have been playing sha but I can't map while I wait for someone to join :(

Anyway I have some early beta screen shots of the Bat cave, there will be many changes to come, And I mean many..

well here are some screen shots of it in it's early form.

Tune in for more.. same bat time same bat channel.<p>[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: canobis ]

<A HREF="http://www.freewebz.com/canobis/" TARGET=_blank><B><I>Canobis Maps</I></B></A>
canobis
Sidekick

Re: Bat cave under way!

Postby Batmite on Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:48 am

:)
Batmite
Main Man

Postby Chelsea on Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:52 pm

OMG! I can't wait.
:eek:
Chelsea
Sidekick

Postby canobis on Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:20 pm

cool
glad you guys like it so far..

I'm hoping that it won't take too long to finish up.. maybe a month or so..
but i had this thing where i need some map objects like the trees.. for like say a batmobile.. and i don't know anyone that can make them, or will make them for me.. so if i'm gonna be getting this map or any others to come out being really really cool im gonna have to actually learn the skinning part to the map models.. cause i can model, nooooo problem i just can't ever get it skinned..

so if i actually bother to learn it and make this and many other maps looking even better, it will take a little while.. maybe this up coming weekend i'll have enough time to do something about it.. :)

<A HREF="http://www.freewebz.com/canobis/" TARGET=_blank><B><I>Canobis Maps</I></B></A>
canobis
Sidekick

Postby canobis on Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:12 pm

I need some hypothethical feedback from everyone now.

in my batcave map do you think i should have more than one way to enter the cave? for gameplay?

or should i stick to the theme and make it only one entrance?

the problem with that is it becomes a choke point and a camping place.. cause there's only one direction anyone can come at you from.

anyway let me know what you think.

canobis
Sidekick

Postby Batmite on Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:17 pm

In the comics which mite be diffrent from the Batman cartoons & TV series, the batcave has multiple entrances.

From Bruce Wayne's mansion all entrances to the batcave are hidden, the one that I know about is a grandfather clock that shifts sideways when you twist the hands on the clock face and it reveals some stairs that goes downwards to the batcave.

In the TV series I remember the bust that reveals a panel with 2 poles that Batman & Robin slid down ;) so I'm sure there is many entrances.

There is also a long tunnel that comes out to a mountain face under the Wayne estate, where Batman comes in/out with his batmobile.

If you have only one entrance people may camp there or place Wormholes there etc

Canobis, is your batcave map in 2 parts (from the above screenshots), the actual batcave and Wayne manor, that makes a good contrast. I like the idea of the batcave being like a space map.

I'm not exactly sure how big the actual batcave is, I know there is a main room with a big computer, lots of gadgets, his batmobile, memorobilia from his adventures, a massive coin, a big dinosaur model.

I just looked in my <B>Batman : The Ultimate Guide to the Dark Knight</B> book, there is a 3d map of it, the batcave is quite big with many rooms, wish I had a scanner could send it to you.

Batmite
Main Man

Postby Chelsea on Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:55 am

There also should be an underground dock - for the bat boat(?). I think that the batplane (or bat-jet) has a landing field. Even if it is one of those vertical take-off planes there needs to be an exit. I think the water route would be a great addition (underground rivers are cool). Finally - I think the ceilings should be really high.
REAL Player :eek:<p>[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: Sharon ]
Chelsea
Sidekick

Postby canobis on Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:01 am

thanx alot guys!
I wish you had a scanner too batmite.. hehehe

I didn't know there were multiple entrances for more than one type of vehicle.. like i thought there were multiple openings but only one for human form, one for car, one for boat and one for jet.. but i guess a person could enter all of them :)

i'll add multiple openings.
no poles, cause you can't really slide down them anyway and they just get in the way..
as it is right now i have a "secret" panel that opens to the "bathole" i might need to add another "bathole", but i want to try to explore another way of doing it..

and yes batmite the map is in 2 parts.. well kinda, but it's not a really great space map.. i made it jumpable all over the place with multi levels but still tried to retain a flat open area in which to happily frag without having to worry about falling to your doom much. I have in the map a "represntation" of the tunnel from which to drive but i've not made it an exit.

I don't know about your ideas though sharon..
I'm already using alot of curves with the cave.. and making a dock and a landing area might make it alot harder to run. although i'd love to use them and they complete the cave.. i just don't think i can get them in, maybe one but not both.. and i can't make it super huge either as q3 can render only so much at one time, and it being a wide open space it's rendering a hell of alot already.
also if i remember correctly the boat was launched from the cave, out the side of a cliff, from there it does a dive into the water. so the water still wouldn't be in the cave :))
also a teleporter for now so that there are more than one usable exits..

anyway thanx for the ideas, i'll share more screens when it's moved along more.

canobis
Sidekick

Postby CheapAlert on Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:41 am

Those max payne textures fit great, however what concerns me the most are the invisible light fixtures in the 3rd shot O_o
modDB/Gamecache admin and all-around modder<BR><A HREF="http://gargoyle.moddb.com" TARGET=_blank>Gargoyle Spawning Lair</A>
CheapAlert
Sidekick

Postby canobis on Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:35 pm

CheapAlert,

I'm using evil lairs texture sets, not max payne ones..
why would I do that? are they compatiable? do you know?

and the lighting is totally going to change so don't worry about that..

any good ideas would be great too.. like map themes or requests in general, i'm pretty open to most anything if it's possible, like i'm going to try to add that bat plane launch pad.. see where i can take that or if it's workable, but i'm trying :)<p>[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: canobis ]

canobis
Sidekick

Postby canobis on Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:11 pm

my vid card crapped out on me last week..
slowed down mapping, and alot of other things..

but i got a new one.. finally.. and things should be back to normal soon.. I did a whole bunch of work to the batcave already,
i'd post pics but they look quite boring still, nothing really in the cave yet except the basic structure and layout.

after i get some map models in there i'll get some more pics posted as they will be most of the eye candy in the cave.

canobis
Sidekick

Postby canobis on Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:07 pm

I have one more question for everyone.

Should i put any spawn points in the actual batcave?

with no spawn points you would be forced to all start around the mansion and find a way into the cave, this shouldn't pose much of a porblem as i've made at least one entrance fairly obvious.

but that would make most of the action take place outside of the cave, and only the survivors would be entering the cave, with little or no action going on.

if i put spawn points in the cave, it defeats the feeling of discovering the cave.. but that's less game play oriented.

give me your thoughts..

canobis
Sidekick

Postby Chelsea on Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:46 am

well, if there are spawn points around the grounds, and there are entrances other than going through the mansion, I would say that the spawn points would NOT be inside the cave. I guess I don't know enough about the layout to know what would be best. I think you should follow your instincts on this.

Sharon :eek:<p>[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Sharon ]

Chelsea
Sidekick

Postby canobis on Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:24 am

thanks sharon.. i guess what i can do is after i get it to a playable point i can test out the gameplay with just the spawns around the mansion.. just to see how it works out with more than 2 people :)

then if it's crap i can adjust it..

canobis
Sidekick

Postby Chelsea on Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:24 am

<<<<< Ready to Beta test >>>>>
:eek:
Chelsea
Sidekick

Next

Return to Mapping