Superhero-themed maps on the way!

Anything connected to mapping or creating maps for SHA.

Superhero-themed maps on the way!

Postby nineinchnerd on Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:22 am

We (Canobis and I) were keeping our maps kind of hush hush until SHA was finally released. We were hoping to have them finished in time, but I'm swamped with other things...I don't know his excuse ;) hahaha.

Here is the first screenshot of a map in the works. All of you slightly older folks like me will recognize it right away... THE HALL OF JUSTICE!!!

This is a very, very old screenshot. It has changed quite a bit since then. And, as much as we would like this to remain true to the original Hall of Justice, the fps are a real bitch because of the flat, wide open area with numerous trees all over the place. The terrain will be changed, or, I'll have to throw in some buildings. Either way, you're going to love it! I'll keep you all posted as it nears completion!

Image<p>[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: nineinchnerd ]

nineinchnerd
Sidekick

Re: Superhero-themed maps on the way!

Postby canobis on Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:45 pm

my excuse is i'm just lazy..
i seem to only be able to map in spurts.. after that i seem to either get bored or just a little fustrated.. i find taking a little break helps things get on a roll again..

but i have been working on things as of late.. the hall of justice is coming along more and more with each passing day.

I am also working on making the leigion of doom's headquarters, the dome head. we are still unshure as to what we are going to do with it, maybe combine them maybe not. it depends on the r_speeds combining them produces.

I don't have any worthy screen shots as of yet to be posting, but expect to see more soon.<p>[ September 02, 2002: Message edited by: canobis ]

<A HREF="http://www.freewebz.com/canobis/" TARGET=_blank><B><I>Canobis Maps</I></B></A>
canobis
Sidekick

Postby nineinchnerd on Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:28 am

You caught me in a lie. I'm lazy too. :p
nineinchnerd
Sidekick

Postby canobis on Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:00 am

i got another screen of the hall of j
one with a new texture, and it wouldn't bee the hall of j without it.

the sky is bound to change as the current one not only is default but it makes everything look kinda orange..

but here's the pic...
Image<p>[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: canobis ]

<A HREF="http://www.freewebz.com/canobis/" TARGET=_blank><B><I>Canobis Maps</I></B></A>
canobis
Sidekick

Postby canobis on Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:19 am

new pic of my latest creation, this is early, early, screen shots of the map, it's still got alot more work to do on it.

incase you don't know what it is, it's the hall of doom

Image<p>[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: canobis ]

canobis
Sidekick

Postby MystefFox on Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:43 am

Heh, these really look nice and all, keep up the good work !
I'm hoping to see some final results :)
MystefFox
Sidekick

Postby RaneDanzer on Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:11 am

heheheh those could be bases on either side of a CFT map!

Heroes vs Villans!!

RaneDanzer
Sidekick

Postby canobis on Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:49 am

you mean like this?

:)

canobis
Sidekick

Postby Batmite on Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:05 am

Keep it up ;)
Batmite
Main Man

Postby canobis on Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:34 am

ok I got more treats for everyone, sorry if things seem to be slow, but they kinda are, mostly because i've been doing the whole work thing so I really only get time to map on the weekend, and I don't always feel up to "working" on the weekend, but this weekend I got nothing else to do so I invested more time into my map.

without further chit-chat, here comes the pics.

:)
we are still planning on putting the 2 maps together for a ctf map, it also seems that the hall of doom is crap for gameplay by itself, so it probably won't be released as a dm map at all, the halls of justice has alot more gameplay so it could be released as a dm map, but we are still testing it and might change our minds.

canobis
Sidekick

Postby Chelsea on Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:59 am

I just can't wait. I have played the CTF maps with bots so much I can play with my eyes closed! Wish I knew enough to make a map. Any tips - like an easy as pie tool to make some simple maps? Can I just take some old Quake maps and compile them somehow? Wish I was smarter. meanwhile, I'm gonna hold my breath till I get a new map.

(Chelsea) :eek:

Chelsea
Sidekick

Postby canobis on Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:10 pm

well there really is no easy tool to make maps..
although basic maps are somewhat easy to make.
check out <A HREF="http://www.qeradiant.com" TARGET=_blank>www.qeradiant.com</A> if you really want to try to map. :)
canobis
Sidekick

Postby Chelsea on Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:20 am

Thanks Canobis. I downloaded their editor (and the updates) and will get started, but I downloaded some maps that they have there for Q3Arena. Will these maps work with SHA? I know this is a newbie questions, but how do I install a map for SHA? Can you point me somewhere? Thanks either way

Still holding my breath
:eek:
(Chelsea)

Chelsea
Sidekick

Postby nineinchnerd on Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:48 am

Could this happen to be "Player" from the SH2 days?

FFA (Free for all), Tourney, CTF maps will work. I think Team DM will too. There are a few maps out there designed specifically for other mods... not sure what tho. I guess stuff like Jailbreak and whatever.

This is cool tho. I hope you make some maps too! :) I'm willing to help too whenever you need it. Canobis is more of an expert than me tho. I'm more of a moderate mapper. Still learning new things.

If your maps are in .map or .bsp format, they go in q3/baseq3/maps/ folder. All finished PK3's go in baseq3. You don't "install" maps per se. You need the plugin pk3man (or something similar) to make the PK3 files for ya.

nineinchnerd
Sidekick

Postby Chelsea on Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:14 am

Yeah, I was called REAL Player back in the day. I was kinda hooked on invisible prox mines. I am just as crazy about SHA as I ever was on Superheroes. I miss the group - we had some really great internet games, but, if I remember correctly, I was stuck on a 28.8k modem. Seems like a million years. I'm dying to play SHA on the internet, and keep looking for your server NIN. My life has been so drab until Batmite wrote SHA!
I followed your directions about the maps and it worked. If I can figure out this Radiant editor I'll try and make a map of my own.

Still holding my breath for the hall of justice.
:eek:
(Chelsea)

Chelsea
Sidekick

Next

Return to Mapping